City of Markham    
    
   
Markham Register of Property of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
 
Address: 135 BAY THORN DR
Original Address:
Property Legal Description: PLAN 7686 BLK S
Historical Name: Heintzman House
Heritage Conservation District:
Ward: 1
Year Built: 1816 -
Architect Style: Regency
Heritage Status of Property: Part IV (Individual)
Designation Bylaw: 331-83
Heritage Easement Agreement: No
       
History Description
The construction of Heintzman house dates back to the early nineteenth century. Anthony Hollingshead, an United Empire Loyalist, obtained the Crown Grant to Lot 32, Concession 1 in 1802. At the time, Hollingshead built a two-room house. It is believed that the rooms still exist although they have been incorporated into the subsequent additions made to the house. In 1817, he sold his land to Colonel George W. Crookshank, the area's first Justice of the Peace, for 750 pounds. The same year, Colonel Crookshank constructed what is now considered the main portion of the house using mud bricks made on the property. Walnut woodwork graced the interior of the house. The staircase, the carved mantels, the heavy inside shutters and the massive front door were the most prominent features of the home's interior design. There were many successive owners following Col. Crookshank. Among them was Charles T. Heintzman, grandson of the founder of the Heintzman Piano Company. In 1930, Mr. Heintzman, a Toronto businessman, purchased the property. He had a keen interest in agriculture and at one time, kept a herd of prize Jersey cattle. The Heintzmans made several alterations to the house but were cautious to preserve the original woodwork and unique features of the structure. The front entrance pillars and the conservatory are some of the additional features that were implemented by the Heintzmans. After Mr. and Mrs. Heintzman's passing in the 1950s, the property was sold for development, but thanks to the efforts of local Thornhill residents, the Town of Markham bought the property in 1966, and the house was opened to the public as a community centre. It is used by numerous community groups as well as for private functions, such as weddings, receptions, and business meetings. Part IV of the Heritage Act
 
Contemporary Photograph Heritage Photograph
       
Key Map
Please note that the red boundary is not indicative of the actual heritage area and is only meant to highlight the property the heritage building(s) is located at. For a complete description of the actual heritage property please refer to the Designation Bylaw found above.

   
  © Corporation of the City of Markham