City of Markham    
    
   
Markham Register of Property of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
 
Address: 7651 9TH LINE
Original Address:
Property Legal Description: CON 9 PT LOT 5
Historical Name: S.S.# 18 Box Grove School House
Heritage Conservation District:
Ward: 7
Year Built: 1877 -
Architect Style: Italianate
Heritage Status of Property: Part IV (Individual)
Designation Bylaw: 2005-78
Heritage Easement Agreement: No
       
History Description
The first recorded schoolhouse serving School Section No. 18 was believed to have been a frame building located on the northwest corner of what is now 9th Line. And 14th Avenue. Presumably because the building could not accommodate the increasing number of students from the prosperous hamlet, originally known as Sparta, it was decided in the 1870s to build a new brick schoolhouse on the east side of 9th Line, south of the village centre. The Schoolhouse is a typical example of the classic one-room schoolhouse form. The round arch windows on the front add a touch of Romanesque Revival and Italianate styles to an otherwise utilitarian structure. Schoolhouse #18 exhibits contextual significance for its association with the historic agricultural community surrounding the hamlet of Box Grove. The one room schoolhouse supported the educational need of children living on the farms in this vicinity for many generations, until the advent of central schools and bussing in the 1960s.
 
Contemporary Photograph Heritage Photograph
       
Key Map
Please note that the red boundary is not indicative of the actual heritage area and is only meant to highlight the property the heritage building(s) is located at. For a complete description of the actual heritage property please refer to the Designation Bylaw found above.

   
  © Corporation of the City of Markham